February 3, 2012

Start of Something Big! The Washington Monument

This is an exhilarating experience! I've painted a large mural outdoors before, but it's been a while since I've dealt with a big, wide brush and huge gobs of paint. My 7 ft tall Washington Monument is coming along.

I'm working from a sketch I did which had -- wrong! -- the stone of the monument whiter at the top. It's not -- the "white" marble is two colors and the top is definitely a yellower stone. I'm going to play with the color a bit as this painting progresses.

The limitations of my set up: I am up on a step stool to paint the upper part and I've gotten just a bit of paint on the ceiling since the canvas is wedged up against it. I have to get onto the floor to paint the bottom. I've been thinking I could separate the canvases so I could work on them all at normal height, but I need to see the work as a whole, so I will suffer for art.

No comments: