March 12, 2013

Jennifer Painting Evolves in the Studio

Yesterday, when Jennifer was modeling, I started my 2nd painting of her.. and found that once again, I'd centered her in the painting (see yesterday's post).  At the time, it was intentional, really!  I thought about making the line along her back an important part of the painting and wanted to keep that when I set up her placement.  As the painting went along, though, I wasn't really satisfied with that idea, as it didn't work with the emphasis of light as it washed the scene.  Her back was largely in shadow, just a flicker of light along her hip.

Today in my studio at home, I took yesterday's and last week's paintings of Jennifer and used them as source material to start a new painting, putting her at the right side of the painting.  This is the start, much better I think.  My sketched in pose tried to get a bit of the bottom-heaviness out of the figure, but she's stiffer than she should be, which I'll work out when I get further into this.  Unfortunately, we have a different model (the gypsy-bunny model will be back) tomorrow so I am going to have to do more thinking than seeing to get this done.  Maybe that says something about my balance of thinking and seeing.  Yet another thing to think about.


No comments: