November 6, 2012

Lunch on the Amalfi Coast

This painting is a real departure for me in a lot of ways.  I don't usually use so much black, so much contrast.  I used Galkyd Lite, which is a lightly shiny varnish/medium for paint that helped even out the different levels of oil absorbency in the pigments, necessary especially in the mixed black areas.  And I pulled back from defining features and objects to allow the shapes and colors to merge into images.  The painting will be part of the December Foundry Gallery show, A Cool Palette.  The show will feature works where blues, purples, greens dominate (or cool blacks, in this case).  The people at the table in front are my husband & daughters.

I've got work on display now at the Framer's Choice Gallery in Kentlands -- the work will be up though December 1.  The reception is this Sunday afternoon, November 11.

No comments: