I started this painting outdoors a few weeks ago, excited by the intense light between the house and the column on its porch. I liked the way the steps up to the house led to that light. After putting down color, though, the painting lost its focus and I scraped it down. I repainted the dark areas in cadmium red and then put it away in the studio. I got it out again yesterday to see if I could rebuild the color without the problems I'd encountered earlier. Without a reference (either being on site or having a photo), I was working very slowly. I'm not sure whether I'll ever finish it, but it's a useful exercise in working out a problem of keeping color in its place to allow the idea to shine through.