July 6, 2011

Working on the Canal Painting

I've been home today (first rain, now waiting for a home repair) and working in the studio instead of returning to Georgetown. I don't have anything to refer to, like a photo, but I'm finding that it's pretty clear what direction the painting needs to go.

One interesting issue I'm having is over the lock. The lock is right in front of the brick house, closed, but I find the shape of the lock gate and the dark void where the water level drops to be a distraction. Although the painting is about the span across the canal, the depth of the reflections and the play of light along the buildings, a scheme that should easily include a lock... I think the lock may move downstream and out of view, as will the stone pad that a lock opener would stand on that runs along side.

No comments: