November 7, 2018

Value Study of Oysters & Wine

 I was thinking about painting this still life of oysters on ice and a glass of muscadet... and then I got it into my head that I need to paint more and more often.  One thing a lot of painters do is a daily painting and I love the way those painters take small amounts of time to build up a library of small studies.  In spite of my best intentions, I get too busy and painting or drawing ends up feeling like a luxury more than a necessary part of every day and I've been devoting more time to working on a painting that's the final realization of an idea before I've explored different ways to approach the subject.

Thus, the study I just completed.  It's just values in black and white and I painted it on paper that's supposed to hold up to oil paint. I think it's going to help me get the daily habit going if I limit myself to studies and limited palettes.

I may tomorrow may take this study and use it for the basis of a new study with color.

No comments: