July 14, 2016

Montana painting update

The Montana painting is coming along.  I share my studio space with other artists who are very precise in their painting -- one uses a projector to project a photo onto canvas and trace its lines to ensure accurate drawing; the other uses some straight edges and spends hours working to make sure that straight lines are perfect and such.

I just paint.  I know the result can have "drawing problems" but I can't give up the spontaneity of painting without drawing first.  I just put the colors and shapes where they seem to go and make adjustments as I go along.  So ... here's the drawing problem that resulted from doing that with this painting.  The porch railing exists in three different spaces that don't really connect to one another visually.

That's what I'll be working on fixing tomorrow.  Not by using a ruler, just working it out in paint.

No comments: