June 6, 2015

At long last, return to the studio! Flowers...

I've been out of the studio for the better part of 3, almost 4 months now, due to an injury in February.  Although I know the legend of many artists includes drunken or drugged creative efforts, but in my case, pain medication and physical discomfort made it impossible to paint.  I had hoped for a Jennifer Bartlett-type In The Garden experience, where a limited view would result in mind-expanding creativity... but it just wasn't happening.  Finally, in the past week, I have been mobile enough and clear-headed enough to sit at an easel and paint!

The flowers in this painting were fresh about two months ago and they are long gone now, so I have been working on this painting this week from the standpoint not of what I'm looking at, but what I'm thinking the painting needs in terms of intensity of color and brushstrokes.  It's evolved quite a bit since I started it in April and let it sit since then.



No comments: