May 13, 2014

Cleveland Park House Sketch

I intended to paint the lily pond at Tregaron today, but there was construction adjacent to the garden and it was far from the peaceful spot I loved painting at last year.  The neighborhood nearby, Cleveland Park, is filled with huge historic Queen Anne style houses with big porches and charming gardens.  I took a lot of pictures of the houses and finally found one in sunlight that I could paint from a shady spot.  I had about an hour to play around with it. The round turret and porch were really fun to paint; not so much fun to paint the rest of the house.  Oddly, the windows are spaced differently in the two rear parts of the house and it looked strange to paint them that way.  After painting it outside looking at the house, I worked a bit more on this in the studio.


No comments: