February 24, 2013

Museum Inspirations

I went to the Hirshhorn Friday to see the Ai Weiwei exhibit in its last two days.  It was alternately mind-altering, amazing, provocative and occasionally ridiculous (he's even done a video parody of Gangnam Style).  What I was most struck by as a work of art was the imagination and craft of the Moon Chest, 7 of 80+ tall cabinets with round cut-outs that lined up to reveal the phases of the moon.  The other thing I can't get out of my mind is the juxtaposition of the works that reflected the rubble and human devastation of the Sichuan earthquake with Ai Weiwei's own smashing or painting on top of ancient pottery.  



Today I saw the Anna Ancher and Skagen Art Colony exhibit at the National Museum of Women in the Arts and attended a gallery talk about Ancher.  Much more within my comfort zone, although during Ancher's time, it was a rare and radical woman who became a painter.  Ancher could do so because she lived at her family's hotel and was able to leave the "woman's" duties -- cooking, etc. -- to staff at the hotel.  Her work was beautiful and emotionally rich and her love of the effects of light went from a supporting element to a dominating one in her paintings.

All very inspiring.  Now, back to my studio.

No comments: